Tuesday, September 2, 2008

News Site Comparison

With the upcoming election on the forefront of most news media right now, I was not surprised to find this subject in the headlining article for both The Drudge Report and The Huffington Post. In fact, both of those sites showed little else outside of the two presidential candidates and McCains unexpected running mate. Although I have not yet used either of these sites regularly, I already prefer The Huffington Post for its more organized layout. Both of these news sites put the most shocking article at the top of the page, undoubtedly to grab the reader's attention.

I do not think that either of these news sites adhere to the "Murrow Standard" of being fair and balanced. The Drudge Report makes no effort to mask its outrageously conservative bias and likewise for The Huffington Posts bias toward the Democratic party. This is apparent in headlines from The Drudge Report, like "Thompson Speech to Defend Palin, Rip "Panic" Among Dem-friendly Media...", or "Sarah Palin has Chosen to Exploit Her Own Daughters Pregnancy!" from The Huffington Post.

Currently, when I read news sites I go to CNN. While I don't doubt that any journalist cannot always right a completley unbiased story, on a more largely used news site like CNN such bias would not be so tolerated. I think news sites like The Drudge Report or The Huffington Post are just fine if you want to read articles written by those with a like opinion, but it not the most reliable source for fair or balanced day-to-day news.

No comments: